Wednesday 28 January 2015

Shopping in Seville: Flea Market, Calle Feria, Seville


Sunny Flea Market, Seville
One thing I never got to do during my last trip to Seville was visit the weekly flea market on Calle Feria. Its held every Thursday morning but, of course, I worked on Thursday mornings so was never free. One Thursday I did unwittingly wonder that way after work, and a little old man who was packing up the last of his stall yelled at me (in English) "YOU'RE TOO LATE GIRL!!!!" and then cackled. I was totally confused because I didn't know about the market and couldn't work out what he was referring too...

Well, the first week of these internship programmes is usually spent in a relaxed fashion at lessons and meetings, and we had Thursday morning off. There was generally quite a lot of interest in second hand clothes in the group so we decided to go to the market. Its probably worth mentioning, at this point, that no fewer than TWO people have complimented me on my beautiful eagle fleece since I've arrived in Seville. (One other person also told me I looked like her high school chemistry teacher, which I took as a compliment and started extolling the virtues of the garment, until she cut me off with a sharp "Do not try to sell me a fleece.")

Flea Market, Calle Feria, Seville
Thursday Mornings

This market is about 500% larger than I was expecting. That's not because its that massive, its because I had really low expectations... but it does go beyond just on Calle Feria onto side streets and across a couple of plazas.

One thing I've noticed about second hand clothes in Europe is they are SO much cheaper than in the UK. I think maybe vintage fashion just isn't quite as widely accepted here...anyway there were tables covered in clothes at the market for 1 or 2 euros each. There was also a lot of books, junk, old cameras, stones and jewels, (presumably stolen) bicycles, light fittings, vintage toys, bits of crap.... basically everything you'd ever want! Here are some snaps...

Creepy dolls and fur coats, aka everything you've ever wanted.

Miscellaneous random electronics

An old man after my own heart rifles through some bargains
One thing I've noticed about second hand clothes in Europe is they are SO much cheaper than in the UK. I think maybe vintage fashion just isn't quite as widely accepted here...anyway there were tables covered in clothes at the market for 1 or 2 euros each. There was also a lot of books, junk, old cameras, stones and jewels, (presumably stolen) bicycles, light fittings, vintage toys, bits of crap.... basically everything you'd ever want!

I got myself a couple of pairs of jeans for work (1 euro a pop). Then I wandered down through the stalls and found THE most incredible bag EVER. The reason I like it a lot is because it has a felt sunshine sewn onto it and the sunshine is smiling at me quizically, like its an old friend! I was expecting it to cost about 10 euros but it was TWO! Bargain of my life. Not only that but I treated myself to a four volume illustrated Spanish/English/Basque dictionary. They are the heaviest things ever. I have no idea how I'll get them back home. But I mean for 2 euros for the lot you literally have to be crazy to walk away!! I haven't worn the bag yet because I can't decide if it clashes in a good way or a bad way with the rainbow fleece...

Super Happy Wonderful Sunshine Mexican Rainbow Bag

Second hand and thrift shopping in Seville

Calle Feria is basically the place to go in Seville for second hand clothes. There are a couple of overpriced Vintage shops, but there are also a couple of gems. Look out for the antique shop that has a rail of clothes outside... if you go into the back everything hung up is 2 euros and everything on the table is 1. My friend (her blog is here) got two good quality ankle length, camel coloured coats from there for 2 euros each.

Seville's charity shop (the only one we ever found...) is called Humana and there's one on Calle Feria and on Mendez Pelayo. 




No comments:

Post a Comment